Thursday, September 12, 2013

So here I go again....

My Mom cried when I left. It's been over ten years since my first deployment back in 2003. Since then I've been to Iraq four times, once to Liberia, and, most recently, spent a year in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. All told I believe I've spent 42 months so far in combat zones and a further twelve in Saudi Arabia. This time I'm off to a place called Joint Base Bagram, Afghanistan. It's the largest coalition base in the country and is a central cog in a war that has been ongoing for twelve years. I'm sure my Mom was upset when I've departed on previous deployments. But this time she cried. I promised her this would be the last one. This time around I'll be gone for a year.

So what is it that has motivated me to take on yet another deployment? The past year in Saudi Arabia was good. It was a great assignment. I'd consider service there one of the best kept secrets going. Life was good, work was easy, we could drink, there were no 24-hour operations, and travel to nearby countries was a snap. I lived at a place called Eskan Village, which is just south of Riyadh. I had my own fully-furnished villa. Yes, life was great. I had intended to extend my tour there an additional year. From an outsider's view, I must be out of my mind to leave there for Afghanistan. Hell, just a month ago I was enjoying a fabulous four-day weekend in Dubai. So what could have possibly triggered me to leave such a relaxed environment for a combat zone? Very simple. I was selected for another command. In my profession, at my level of rank, you simply don't turn down a command. But I must admit that I accepted my new assignment with a heavy heart. It was a tearful departure when I departed Saudi Arabia last month. At the same time, I departed with a bit of excitement at my challenge ahead. And I know from experience that command is where it's at. For the next year I'll be the commanding the garrison at the largest base in Afghanistan. It will most likely be my greatest challenge.

I departed Saudi Arabia on August 19th on my way to the CONUS Replacement Center, Fort Bliss, Texas. It seemed really ridiculous leaving the CENTCOM Area of Operations to go through the exact same training at CRC I just did a year ago. Anyway, I programmed in a couple of days leave back in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina so I could visit with my parents. I'm so glad I did. My lovely daughter and granddaughter were there visiting at the same time, which made for a wonderful two days. But I could tell the mood was a little more somber this time around. I sense my family is growing very weary of my continual deployments. My parents aren't getting any younger and neither am I. The couple of days at home flew by. I shared a lot of personal updates with my parents and caught up with my Dad for some of his valuable professional wisdom. But in private with my Mom I also did something I've never done prior to heading off to war. I broke down and cried a bit too. It just isn't easy to leave people you love behind. It is gut-wrenching. The separation of a deployment is almost absolute. It is good that my work load for the next year will be very heavy because it will help the time go by quickly.

On August 22nd I walked out on the porch. My rental car was packed. It was time to go - again. My Mom cried. I promised my parents this would be the last time. With that I departed, once again on my way to the sound of the guns.

No comments:

Post a Comment