Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Farewell to Three Heroes

During the early morning hours of 10 January 2014, three Heroes based at Bagram paid the ultimate price. They met The Lord performing the job they loved so dearly - flying their MC12 aircraft in the service of their Country. I did not know them. But I serve alongside people wo do. Yesterday I attended their memorial service. It was held at the Enduring Faith Chapel. The small church was filled to overflow capacity. By the end of the service I felt as though I had personally served with all three Heroes. The oldest of the three was 31, married, and from Ohio. He was a civilian contractor pilot who served alongside his military family with selfless distinction. The next oldest was 27, married, and father of one daughter. He was a Chief Warrant Officer from Wyoming who loved flying and was rated on both rotary and fixed-wing aircraft. The youngest was 25, married, and father of one son. He was a Sergeant in the Hawaii Army National Guard who had enthusiastically volunteered for this assignment in Afghanistan. During the course of the ceremony words of remembrance were shared by their Commanding Officer and others with whom they had served. Emotions flowed freely from the hearts of men and women for their love of these men. The Lord was present. His love captured the tears and calmed the sadness. As the twenty one gun volleys sounded and the bugler played Taps the emotions swelled as one. There is a bond formed among those who serve together in combat. Only those who serve know the strength and depth of this bond. Though we enter our military adventures as strangers, we become brothers and sisters who are forged and tempered stronger than life itself. At the conclusion of the ceremony each person in attendance waited for their opportunity to render a final salute to the boots, rifles, helmets, and ID tags of the fallen Heroes. I did likewise. Raising my hand in silent salute, then after touching their ID tags I laid my command coin down for each of them. I did not know them before I came to the ceremony. But through the heartfelt descriptions of the love they devoted to their families, their comrades, and their Country I came to know them. Farewell Warriors and may your flight to Heaven be borne by Angels adorned with the wings of eagles. We shall all join you one day for our final roll call.

This is dedicated to the Warrior Aviators of Task Force Odin and the families of the fallen Heroes.

In Memory Of

Chief Warrant Officer 3 Andrew L. McAdams
Sergeant Drew M. Scobie
Kristopher L. Noble

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your service. My son is also serving at Bagram right now. You have my deepest respect and my sincerest thanks for the job you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such kind and inspiring words. Please let everyone know that we are proud of all of you and that my son is a hero to all of here in Hawaii. Aloha, Karen Drew's mom.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. We received a video of the services yesterday, needless to say there was not a dry eye in our house. Please let soldiers that left a coin that my grandson Duke is so proud of them and shows all the visitors that come by our house. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen I did not know your son but I saw the positive impact he had on his comrades. Their love for him was felt in every corner of the chapel that day. He is a true hero to us all. The coin that says "USFOR-A GARRISON COMMAND BAGRAM" is from me. In the few short moments of the memorial ceremony I felt the pride, honor, and love for him through the freely shared emotions of his comrades. God Bless you and your family now and always.

    ReplyDelete