Saturday, May 10, 2014

Returning from R&R

The “days since I last had a beer” count has now been officially reset. The new count is two days. That’s because I had a beer on my flight out of Bangkok at the conclusion of my R&R. My leave was fabulous. The intent of R&R is to allow someone like me to completely unwind, recharge the batteries, forget about work, and come back relaxed and refreshed. Two weeks in Thailand did exactly that for me.  Prior to departing I told my Deputy and CSM that I would be “off the net” and to not contact me unless it was an absolute emergency. I did not think about work at all from the time I departed until the moment I returned to Bagram. As for my thoughts on Thailand? My head is still there. If you haven’t put a trip to Thailand on your bucket list then what are you waiting for?  My trip included three nights in Bangkok, four in Patong, one on Ko Phi Phi, four in Ko Samui, and four in Pattaya City.  I can’t describe the magnificent beauty, the mix of third-world grittiness, or the pure charm of the tropics. You just have to see them for yourself. My only advice is avoid Bangkok altogether. It is a pretty boring city. Everything else is off the hook and each for its own unique way. I’ll go back.

Fortunately, there were no major issues awaiting me upon my return. I did come back to find almost 500 emails in my inboxes. It took me around three straight hours to sort through them all. But my Garrison team did an incredible job while I was away. They never skipped a beat. My complete trust in them paid off handsomely – they got a lot of stuff done and, at the same time, I got to focus on me for two weeks of relaxation. Their hard work while I was away also makes it much easier for me to transition back from leave into my commander mode.

I did have a pleasant surprise waiting me when I got back to Bagram. The Polish Contingent – Task Force White Eagle – presented my CSM and me the Polish Star of Afghanistan. This is an award bestowed to members of the Polish military who served honorably in Afghanistan and the certificate is signed personally by the Polish President, Bronislaw Komorowski. It was an incredible honor and another moment when I reflect on the very unique privilege it is to serve our Nation’s military during wartime. I’ll drink a toast to my Polish counterparts as soon as I can. That would be in four months based on my newly reset “days without a beer” count. But I won’t forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment