Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving from Bagram!

This is the fifth Thanksgiving in the last nine years I've spent deployed - including the last three in a row. I made a promise this one will be the last. In the meantime, I made the most of this one with my comrades here. The best part of the day was when my CSM and I spent over an hour serving food to Soldiers in one of the many dining facilities. I probably served more mashed potatoes and gravy than I've seen my entire life. The spread of food was immense. Not a stomach left hungry. When it was finally my turn I gorged myself. I had turkey with gravy and cranberry sauce, corn on the cob, prime rib, ham, macaroni and cheese, stuffing, pumpkin pie, egg nog, and a near beer. I'm still stuffed as I write - a full eight hours later. The rest of the day we circulated the base wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. Later we sat in with the Deputy Secretary of Defense, who was visited for the day. He presented us both a coin and thanked us for our service. I also smoked a cigar with some of my staff. All-in-all it was an excellent Thanksgiving considering where we had to spend the day.

It's never as good as home though. I can assure you that all of us here in Bagram miss those we left behind in order to serve. We all wish each of you the happiest of Thanksgivings. We will all be home soon. From our home in Bagram to yours - God Bless and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment