Friday, November 22, 2013

In between all the meetings...

Brief flurries of productivity interrupted by meetings... Such is life around here. It never ceases to amaze me how some people become infatuated at seeing a need for more meetings. Normally they are folks that I work for. For the life of me I don't understand the urgency of having redundant gatherings to discuss the exact same topics, conduct a repeat in-progress review (IPR), or go over the same PowerPoint production for the umpteenth time. But, I guess, some folks just have too much time on their hands. I keep promising myself and others that I'll never be that Officer who lives in an analysis-to-paralysis of PowerPoint slides designed to hold my subordinates hostage for 23 out of 24 hours daily. If the stars align and I'm seen fit to advance to General Officer level I pledge to be the most subordinate user friendly, low maintenance person of my rank around. Alas, it appears I am ranting a bit. It's well placed rant. My command is extremely productive towards mission success as long as we aren't getting interrupted by another meeting.

The past few days have been a continuation of the whirlwind of activity that we live here. Bagram is actually starting to show evidence of the work we've tried to stay focused on. The old wooden b-huts are now dropping like flies. New, hardened buildings and billeting areas are coming on line. Soldiers are being shuffled around into better living conditions. There are less vehicles on the road, which has brought about a noticeable decline in transit times around base. I am quite pleased with the incredible things that we're accomplishing. It is a fundamental transformation of this massive base into a much more efficient, less-populous, and significantly more modern installation. There have been many Garrison teams that have come before mine to manage this place. But my team is the one charged with the historic reduction of Bagram. For the next few days we get to also enjoy Thanksgiving decorations while we work. It's appropriate because we've become family through the course of our shared labor and hardship. As family we'll spend our Thanksgiving together.

That's not to say we aren't thinking of our friends and family right now. We do. My mind is always with those I love.  Deployments are always the hardest for everyone over the holidays. But we persevere. Mission first!

No comments:

Post a Comment