Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Bagram Dickens

Ah, Christmas in Bagram! It dawned bright and cold. The blissful moment was being able to sleep in an extra hour and the loiter with my coffee. I had spent part of Christmas Eve enjoying "Tops In Blue" perform their Air Force variety show. The other portion of the evening had been spent in meetings. Alas, it's business as usual here. The war didn't pause for Christmas. But we still took time to remember today. After an early workout, I accompanied my CSM to Warrior BBQ DFAC to work the serving line. For almost two hours we gratefully served heaping piles of turkey and ham onto the plates of hungry Soldiers and Airmen. They were all so happy to be served by the Garrison Command Team. I'm still smiling just thinking of the looks on their faces when I greeted each of them with "Merry Christmas" and filled their plates.

Tonight as I work late on Christmas to write an eviction notice to a contract medical clinic on Bagram, I can't help but think of this passage from "A Christmas Carol":  "The door of Scrooge's counting-house was open that he might keep his eye upon his clerk, who in a dismal little cell beyond, a sort of tank, was copying letters..."

So now, with apologies to Charles Dickens and with thanks to my Staff Judge Advocate for the assist, I give you Bagram Dickens:

"Are there no B-huts?" asked Scrooge. "Plenty of B-huts," said the gentleman, laying down the pen again. "And taxis to Kabul? Are they still in operation?" demanded Scrooge. "They are. Still, I wish I could say they were not," returned the gentleman.  "The Theater Business Clearance rules and Badge Access Control Policy are in full vigor then?" asked Scrooge. "Both very busy, sir," replied the gentleman. "Oh, I was afraid from what you said at first that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course. I'm very glad to hear it," said Scrooge. "Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude," returned the gentleman, "a few of us are endeavouring to find an in-country sponsor to provide the contractors some government-furnished life support and letters of authorization. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?" "Nothing!" Scrooge replied. "You wish to be anonymous?" the gentleman asked. "I wish to be left alone," said Scrooge. "Since you ask me what I wish, gentleman, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle contractors merry. I did not write the rules that I have mentioned; they are confusing enough; but those who are badly off must go there." The gentleman responded, "Many can't go there; and many would rather demobilize." "If they would rather demobilize," Scrooge replied, "they had better do it and decrease the surplus population. Besides - excuse me -   I don't know how to make a blanket purchase agreement." "But you might know it," observed the gentleman. Scrooge retorted, "It's not my business. It's enough for the J4-M to understand his own business and not to interfere with other people's. Mine occupies me constantly. Air Assault!"

Seeing clearly that it would be useless to pursue his point, the gentleman withdrew. Scrooge resumed his labors with an improved opinion of himself,  and in a more facetious temper than was usual with him. Merry Christmas and Bah Humbug! (In case you couldn't follow the humor of this no worries. It is derived from the lingo of my world in Bagram)

Actually, just Merry Christmas will suffice. Christ is born! Let us all share in the celebration. From all of us in Bagram to all of you back home - may God richly bless you on this wonderful celebration of His Gift to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment