Thursday, December 19, 2013

Haven't Had a Beer in 105 Days

I know. I've touched on this subject in previous blogs. But I can't help myself. It's time to visit the subject of General Order 1B. GO1B was implemented over a decade ago at the outset of operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. It is a U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM) policy that is directed to the subordinate Combatant Commanders in the field. The pretense of GO1B is good order and discipline of the troops. With that in mind, GO1B prohibits the troops from a number of activities while they are serving in the area of operations. Now I could go down the list of everything GO1B prohibits. Instead, I'll just touch on the one thing GO1B is known for - prohibiting the possession, consumption, and distribution of alcoholic beverages. Unlike those old MASH episodes we grew up on where Hawkeye Pierce and crew are drinking during their off-duty hours, we are not afforded that luxury. As with many others, I enjoy a good beer from time to time. But when you can't have one at all the thought of a frosty draft lager beer can become an almost explicit fantasy daydream. This is especially true when not every day is great, as is often the case in Afghanistan. Having a nice cold beer at the end of the day would be such a relaxing escape. Unfortunately, GO1B stands in the way. We live and work in a "dry" environment.

It's been 105 days since my last beer. I remember exactly what kind of beer it was and where I enjoyed its frothy goodness. It was a draft Blue Moon Ale. I enjoyed it at the hotel bar in the El Paso Marriott. It was the night before we flew to Afghanistan. I caught a cab from our barracks on post and ate dinner at the steakhouse next door to the Marriott. Then I walked to the hotel bar for a couple of beers. I savored them while watching the opening game of the 2013 NFL season on the bar's big screen. Around 2300 I caught a cab back on post and finished packing for our flight the next day. Beer - one of life's beautiful luxuries - was now in my rear view mirror for an indefinite time period thanks to GO1B.

Time is moving rather quickly on this deployment. My CSM and I have already been in command for over 90 days. Christmas is upon us. That may be the reason I'm daydreaming about beer. If I wasn't deployed right now I'd be looking forward to having a cold one while watching bowl games with family. This will be my fourth Christmas spent deployed to a combat zone. The homesick feeling only grows more acute with each subsequent deployment. And the thought of that next cold beer is ever present. With that in mind, I'll try to think "days until my next beer." Taking my R&R leave into account, it looks like it will be about 115 days until my next beer. Okay, I can live with that. Let the countdown begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment