Thursday, February 6, 2014

Climb to Glory

For once in a rare occasion the team I was rooting for won the Super Bowl. The game kicked off at 0330 Monday morning. I did not get up for the start. As a matter of fact, I didn't even turn the game on until the end of the third quarter. The score validated my decision not to waste precious sleep by getting up three hours earlier than normal. It's been a long time since a Super Bowl was so one-sided. That being said, I am glad Seattle won. But it is rather melancholy to note that football season is over. At least it does represent the end of another phase of this deployment and the beginning of the next. In two short months baseball season will return. Then I can browse my eight channels of AFN in search of the Red Sox.

Another aspect of this deployment came to an end this week as well. On a cold, snowy morning a ceremony was held in one of the giant C130 aircraft hangers. The event was a Transfer-of-Authority (TOA) between my outgoing and incoming 2-Star level command. Bagram is located in an area of operations known as Regional Command East. Ever since I arrived the 101st Airborne (Air Assault) Division out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky has been in charge. Their "Screaming Eagle" patch could be seen everywhere. Passing Soldiers would salute and say "Air Assault!" This always created a dilemma for me, as I'm not Air Assault qualified and not organic to the 101st. I'd usually respond with a return of the salute paired with a friendly morning, afternoon, or evening greeting. But now there's a new sheriff in town. The new 2-Star General is the commander of 10th Mountain Division out of Fort Drum, New York. Overnight the Screaming Eagle signs disappeared to be replaced by the insignia of the "Climb to Glory" Division. I think the Mountain Soldiers even brought the snow with them just to feel more at home. My dilemma remains though. Now, instead of "Air Assault!" I get greeted with "Climb to Glory!" But I welcome the new leadership. The Screaming Eagles had completed their latest "Rendezvous with Destiny" and were ready to go home. The new leadership brings with them fresh ideas and renewed energy as we continue to close out operations in Afghanistan. I'm embracing the change. The snow can go away though. This place gets messy when it snows.

No comments:

Post a Comment