Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Last 24 Hours of Command

I love Command. Once you get it in your blood it is hard to let go of. But one thing that is a constant about the military is that transition is inevitable. Command tours have an expiration date. Mine came on 21 July 2014. But I enjoyed my final 24 hours of command – savored them actually. The Garrison Team made my final countdown enjoyable and went well out of their way to thank me for the past eleven months. On 20 July we held our Garrison Organizational Day. It was an all-afternoon event that was open to the entire Bagram community. We held the event in the Clamshell across the street from the Garrison HQ. There was plenty of food, entertainment, activities, and giveaways. An Asian-Pacific dance troupe performed a Haka and Hula dance. In spite of the heat and lack of working AC in the tent, there was a huge turnout. About every thirty minutes or so there was a drawing to give away more door prizes contributed by AAFES. There was even near-beer, which is an amazingly scarce commodity on Bagram.

Around 1500 the Garrison Team held a Hail and Farewell to honor both the incoming commander and me. I was extremely touched as each of the Directorates came up and shared a few words about me and presented me with a gift. When I had a chance to speak I dedicated my time to thanking each and every one of them for their incredible efforts over the past year and reminded them of all they’ve accomplished. I managed to avoid the emotions I had bottled up inside. I’m proud of all of them. I cannot thank them enough. It has been a difficult, long, arduous, yet rewarding deployment in which our efforts have been to the benefit of everyone who lives and works on Bagram. The base is now harder, safer, and more compact than a year ago. We accomplished our mission.
On the morning of the change-of-command we gathered for one last group photo in front of the Garrison “t-wall” sign. Then our Commanding General hosted an award ceremony for me and presented my third Bronze Star Medal. After sharing a few more words we headed back to the Clamshell to pass the guidon to the incoming commander. At precisely 1000 on 21 July 2014 we proceeded out to the colors. An exceptional crowd was crammed into the tent. It was the largest crowd I’ve seen all year at any of the changes of command. CSM Bianco passed the Garrison Colors to me and I handed them to the CG, which signified my relinquishing of command. He then passed the Colors to the incoming commander. She then returned them to CSM Bianco. Immediately following that we each spoke for a few moments. The CG spoke first and shared a glowing commentary of thanks and praise for the entire Garrison Team and myself. I then had my opportunity to tell the incredible story of our accomplishments since last September. Then the new Commander spoke very briefly to share her thanks for the opportunity. Just like that the ceremony was over. I’m a free agent again. A steady procession of well-wishers came to greet me and share their thanks and coins. It was an excellent ceremony. AFN was on hand to record the entire event. I believe it was a touching tribute to all of the men and women who have served with me so honorably over the past year.
With the ceremony completed I faded away. It is traditional that the outgoing Commander quickly disappears and allows the new Commander to immediately assume the lead. As I write this I am still in Afghanistan but my days are numbered. The only things I have left to do is pack and wait on my flight. Another successful command is under my belt. We really did some amazing things. I can safely say we accomplished our mission and much, much more. And we are forever comrades from our experience together.

No comments:

Post a Comment