Thursday, July 17, 2014

Transitioning

My replacement is here. My time is short and getting shorter. Ever since the incoming Garrison Commander arrived we have been inundating her with meetings, overviews, tours of the base, and getting her fully engaged with all the normal “battle rhythm” meetings that occur. Just like I learned early on, there is way more to being a Garrison Commander than one would think. For me it was the steepest learning curve I’ve ever had taking on a command. But when I arrived back at the beginning of September I was never really provided any transition from my predecessor. My learning began in earnest the day after I took command. I vowed that would not be the case for my replacement. So when I learned she was coming I immediately gave strict guidance to my directorates on my expectations for the transition.  Just like the professionals they are, each of them developed thorough briefings and day-long tours to ensure she was as familiarized with their respective sections as possible PRIOR to taking command. I’ve added in every meeting that I normally attend into the transition period. At this point, there is no stone left unturned. She may not know everything she needs to know but she is vastly more prepared than I was from the outset.

There are three days until the Change-of-Command. My ability to influence Bagram is waning. But I am satisfied at what we’ve accomplished under my watch. I’ll save the details for a future entry. But a simple way to put it now is that Bagram Airfield is infinitely more hardened, reduced, and safer now than the enigma of a giant I took over. I won this stare-down. Bagram blinked.

No comments:

Post a Comment