Thursday, October 17, 2013

D for De-scope

Tearing down the "b-huts"
IOTV - Improved Outer Tactical Vest. Why do I mention that? Yes, I know it's another military acronym. But the reason I mention it up front is because we've been wearing ours a lot lately. To put it in simpler terms, the IOTV is the body armor we wear. It weighs around 35 pounds when fitted with the front, back and side armor plates. But that's when the vest is "slick" - as in no extra gear attached. In combat configuration the IOTV also carries at a minimum a full basic load of ammunition in magazines, a 9mm pistol and holster (for close defense), a harness strap cutter (to assist in rapidly exiting a damaged tactical vehicle), and a first aid kit. This increases the IOTV to around 50-60 pounds. It makes for a good workout when you have to wear it around all the time. And we've been wearing ours every day of late. That's because these pesky Taliban types like to celebrate holidays like Hadj and Eid by shooting rockets at us. So we just grin and bear it as we lug ourselves around with all this extra weight. It's all in the name of force protection and everyone understands this. That's why we can take it all in stride. I guess another reason I'm mentioning my IOTV is because I'm wearing mine right now. Ah, the weight bearing down on me brings out my creative best!

The military is very good at using terminology that you've never heard or used before. The catch-phrase of Bagram (and my world for the next eleven months) is "de-scope". A synonym for de-scope would be downsize. That's exactly what will happen to Bagram over the next eleven months. The base will be fundamentally reduced in size to one fourth of its current population. As part of this drastic downsizing of personnel, other aspects of the base will see a similar fate. The vehicle fleet will be only a fraction of its curret size (thank goodness for that). Multiple dining facilities, gyms, recreation facilities, PX's, and other facilities will be closed. A massive relocation of the remaining personnel will see them all moved into hardened barracks that are rocket-resistant. It is almost impossible for many to fathom what's coming for Bagram. The base is so crowded and cluttered at present that some people don't believe such drastic change is coming. But it is coming. And in my position I am running point on making it all come together. It really isn't the chess game it sounds like. I'd akin it to checkers instead. We are building new facilities and tearing down old. The retrograde from Afghanistan will take care of the rest. But why does the military insist on calling it de-scoping as opposed to downsizing? No matter I guess. My team is putting the "D" in de-scope just as fast as we'd put it into downsizing. I enjoy being responsible for this kind of work.

Just this past week we initiated the phased demolition of something that has become an icon of the Bagram experience - wooden "b-huts". These rickety plywood and two-penny nail shacks have served as home for thousands of Bagram residents past and present. They are both a safey hazard and a force protection liability. We are finally tearing them down. The former occupants either move into new reinforced concrete and steel barracks or they go home. For the non-believers, come over to one of the b-hut villages and watch them disappear. Then you'll know what I mean when I say de-scope.

No comments:

Post a Comment