Thursday, October 24, 2013

Routine? Or Rut?

My chariot for battlefield circulation
I've quickly come to the conclusion that my command is understaffed, undermanned, and overworked. It's amazing to me how much the various tenants on Bagram think Garrison is responsible for (or can do) - as compared to what we actually are responsible for (or can do). As for my position as Garrison Commander, I can sum up my days as follows: brief flurries of productivity frequently interrupted by meetings. One aspect of this deployment that I must admit is frustrating is that I am, essentially, confined to the base. It's really just by the nature of the position. I'm responsible for the majority of what goes on "inside the wire" and that's where I remain. But it is such an unusual feeling given that my previous deployments involved me traveling frequently throughout the country. My Area of Responsibility (AOR) for this tour is confined to the 3600 acres of Bagram. My battlefield circulation consists of me climbing in my assigned vehicle and driving around the perimeter to check on the progress of our various infrastructure projects. It's a far cry from the Blackhawk, Chinook, and MRAP rides I'm used to from Iraq. I've become acutely familiar with the inside of perimeter walls and the long stretches of fences and razor wire. At times it feels as though Bagram is a maximum security prison rather than a strategic logistical hub for the war in Afghanistan. I wouldn't be surprised at some point to be driving along one day and encounter Snake Plisken with his cobra tattoo and eye patch diligently attempting to escape from Bagram. I'm in Afghanistan but the closest I've come to the country so far is views of the mountains in the distance and the occasional goat herder moving along a few hundred meters outside the fenceline. No matter, my job is inside the wire. That's where I have to stay focused. But I can't deny my sense of adventure kicks in frequently and it makes me long to venture outside these walls.

Having been in command now for over a month there is a familiar battle rythm kicking in. It's called routine. I've been making changes to many of the meetings the previous commander would hold. The majority of them I deemed unnecessary and eliminated altogether. Those that remained were streamlined to be less time-consuming. Then there are the meetings expected from higher command. I couldn't influence those much so they occur with normalcy on my calendar. All that being said, I have to look at the calendar to remember what day of the month it is. But I always know what day of the week it is based on the meetings. Is that a routine or a rut? It's way too early for the rut to kick in.

At this point the initial new command euphoria has worn off a little as well. In it's place comes the familiar crush of realization that deployments are hard core separations from people and places you love. I'm feeling that crush. My thoughts are frequently to the tune of the strumming of my heart's strings. It is very good that my days are busy because it is making them go by faster. At the same time, the work my personnel are masterfully performing is making a difference on Bagram and have visible, tangible results that affect everyone on the base in a positive way. That makes it much easier for me to stay focused as the commander. Patience with progress is a virtue. And the Red Sox are in the World Series, which seems to always happen when I'm deployed.

No comments:

Post a Comment