Saturday, October 12, 2013

Rain and Rockets

Filling the Hescos

I wish I had invented the Hesco. Just about every Soldier who's served in either Afghanistan or Iraq has thought that same thing. If there is one enduring image people will have from serving here it is of the ubiquitous Hesco. A Hesco is such a simple, yet effective device that has found its way into every nook and cranny of every FOB or base in existence. They are made of a durable fabric with a heavy-gauge wire frame and once unfolded just have to be filled with dirt - voila! In a few short hours a strengthened barrier can be in place to provide protection from various nasty things. I'd venture to say they've saved many lives during the course of our current conflict. Although I regret having not invented the things, I am grateful to the person who did. Hescos are all over Bagram too. Even though most of the construction on this base is permanent buildings and concrete "T-walls", Hescos fill in the void in various places in the name of force protection.

As the year creeps further into October the weather has slowly been changing. The evenings are cooler and, occasionally, provide a glimpse of the cold weather to come. Generally it has remained sunny and dry. But that changed the other night. Around 0400 I was slowly aroused from my deep slumber by a steady, peaceful background noise. As I regained my senses from my snooze I began to process what I was hearing. It was a light rain falling on the tin roof of my room. As I listened it increased in intensity. It's such a comforting sound and in no time I was back asleep. A couple of hours later when I awoke it was still coming down. I poked my head out the door just to see the first rain I had seen in months (it never rained for the two weeks I was in the US after I left Saudi Arabia). Not long after I got ready for work the rain tapered off and the sun poked his head back out. The ground around here was so dry that by 0900 there was practically no evidence it had rained at all. But the passing shower was followed by a much cooler day that the ones previous. It was a welcome change. I am always amazed at God's miracles, His ability to reveal himself to us in even the bleakest of places. Every deployment I spent in Iraq I would see and feel his presence with each spectacular sunset in the land of Babylon. Afghanistan is a rugged war-torn land of centuries-old conflicts. But in a simple stroke of a morning shower, we were reminded of His presence and the abundance of life He brings everywhere - including a war zone.

But we've been visited pretty regularly by another type of object that falls from the sky. This one has only deadly intentions and remind us that this is a war zone and there are enemies that stand against us. Rocket attacks, while random and inaccurate, have been relatively frequent. They keep us on edge, on our guard, and ever vigilant. October is becoming a month of rain and rockets. We stay focused on our mission and always aware that harbingers of life and death are with us every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment